Genpink is honored to be a part of Evolution Fresh’s Blogger Network. We received product, and a gift card for the purposes of this post. As always, we only work with brands we love.
We’ve all heard several of the same tips about how to achieve a healthier lifestyle:
- Plan ahead
- Don’t go to the grocery store hungry
- Add more greens to your diet
- Opt for healthier drink choices
- Take the stairs
I’m sure there’s some similar list, hand-written on some adorable notebook floating around Pinterest. Essentially, it’s all about making small changes. I’d love if I could take one of those “100 ways to make your life better” lists and implement them all at once. But, truth is, I get overwhelmed when I try to change too many habits at once. For this month, I opted to focus on two things:
- Don’t go* to the grocery store hungry
- Eat more greens
1. Don’t Go* to the Grocery Store Hungry
Let’s be clear, I wish I scheduled my weeks where I never went to the grocery store hungry. But many times I need to run into the store to get food for dinner. A hungry grocery visit can, however, mean that I buy ALL OF THE JUNK FOOD. One way I’ve found to remedy this, is to pick a healthy snack option at the beginning of my grocery trip. Since Evolution Fresh was one of the items on my grocery list already, I decided to buy a bottle and sit in the cafe to organize my grocery plan. This accomplished two things, more grocery store efficiency and bye bye hangry. *So, while I did GO to the grocery store hungry, I did not end up shopping while I was hungry.
Most grocery stores have healthy options up front, like pre-cut fruit as well if you really need a boost to keep you away from the chip aisle.
2. Eat more greens
I joke that I’m a carbotarian. Most people laugh, and then I’m forced I say “no, really I could eat carbs for every meal.” I know I’m not alone in my love of carbs, so I decided to integrate the greens into a carby dish. And so, I present you Spinach & Pasta Salad with DIY Green Dressing.
Spinach & Pasta Salad with DIY Green Dressing
Pasta Salad Ingredients:
- 8 ounces of pasta
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1/4 cup of cheese (we decided on goat cheese)
- optional: get creative and add in any additional salad fixins you have on hand
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 lemon juiced (see fun photo of the juicer we used here)
- 1/4 Evolution Fresh drink of your choice (our pick: Essential Greens with Lime)
- 1/2 tsp of mustard (ours: Dynasty Sweet & Hot Mustard)
- 1/2 tsp of salt & pepper
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- While pasta is boiling, prepare the dressing. In a jar combine all dressing ingredients. Cover and shake until mixed. Chill until ready to use.
- In a large bowl toss together pasta, spinach, and tomatoes. Just before serving pour over dressing and add desired amount of cheese, toss and serve.
To be extra prepared, we put the salad in individual mason jars to make it easy to take to work. I was concerned about the spinach getting soggy so I stored the dressing in a smaller jar. You can pre-mix it if you’d rather. Since we only used a 1/4 of Evolution Fresh Essential Greens with Lime in the dressing recipe, I saved it to drink for breakfast the next morning.
If you feel like you need an extra boost of green in your life, take the #3daystoGreen pledge.
News from Evolution Fresh
- Evolution Fresh just launched a new line of 11 fl. oz. juices, including five new juices – Green Devotion, Emerald Greens, Green Grove, Berry Beet and Mango Green – along with existing favorite Essential Vegetable. >> Evolution Fresh Almanac
- No time to make the smoothie of your dreams at home? Now the Evolution Fresh juices you know and love can be found in freshly made cold-pressed juice smoothies at select Starbucks locations nationwide. >> New Starbucks Smoothies Staring Evolution Fresh
Advice from the Blogsophere
I asked some blogger friends for some additional recipes to help integrate more greens in your life. I can’t wait to try some of these:
- Make popsicles from Evolution Fresh juices >> How to Have It All
- Recipe: Artichoke, Spinach, Chicken Burgers >> Strength & Sunshine
- Recipe: Spring Quinoa Salad >> I’m Bored, Let’s Go
- Recipe: Creamy Cucumber Salad >> Anne’s Entitled Life
- Recipe: Strawberry Spinach Salad >> Delicious Meets Healthy
- Recipe: Greens and Pasta Fast >> Farm Fresh Feast
- Get Kids to Eat Veggies Ratatouille >> Grinning like an idiot
- Recipe: Green Tropical Smoothie >> Long Island Parent Source