Photo Credit: The Consumerist
MSN Health & Fitness has an article on 10 Things Your Grocery Store Doesn’t Want You to Knowthat was pretty disturbing. There are several things I certainly didn’t know and kind of wish I hadn’t thought about.
- Shopping carts are as dirty as public toilets. “Just think about the fact that a few minutes ago, some kid’s bottom was where you are now putting your broccoli.” Well if you put it that way!
- "Best if Used By" is a suggestion
- Precut items can cost as much as twice a much as uncut version
- Healtheir items are placed above or below popular items. I always thought I just had a hard time finding them.
- Don’t fall for the bargain tricks- a buy 1 get 1 of something you don’t need is not a savings, especially if those items were overpriced initially to allow for the discount.
- 60-70% of what ends up in your cart is unplanned.
- And last but not least we should be on a look out for flies and roaches.
GENGREEN – FOOD: Instead of buying foods that come in extensive packaging (most of which is petroleum-based plastics) look for unpackaged or minimally packaged foods.
– How to Green Your Meals at Treehugger