This is the 5th post in December’s Top Tens Series. This guest post was written by Jenny Blake, who just published her first book named after (and I’m sure based on) her thought provoking blog Life After College. You may have noticed it in the sidebar or Books page here. Jenny was a Google Employee for over 5 years!, Coffee Addict & Gadget Freak.
Close your eyes for a minute and think of a problem, a tough decision or a big question that you are weighing and would like an answer to. Set aside 30 minutes to reflect on the questions below, either in your head or on paper (I use Google Docs — and even created a template for you!). You might also focus on one question each day or week – let it ruminate over time, then jot down notes as various ideas pop up.
Do you have a topic yet?
You might be tempted to just skim this post and pretend you have a topic, even though you know it’s fuzzy and you’re just sort of going through the motions (we all do it). Before you keep going, really think of something. Don’t keep reading until you have a topic or idea in mind that is so-big-it’s-scary (but also exciting).
- When you think of [topic], what are you most excited about?
- How does this [topic] fit in with your vision of your highest self?
- What is your goal in this area? Now double it. What is the version of the goal that is so big you are afraid to admit (even to yourself) for fear of failure?
- What’s holding you back / What are you afraid of?
- What support do you need to move forward?
- What one next step would make the biggest impact to move your forward (or help with your decision)?
- What would achieving this get you?
- Close your eyes and ask each major decision-making system for advice: What does your head say? What does your heart say? What does your gut say? How can you reconcile the three? (Okay so I cheated and combined four questions in one)
- Dig even deeper. What do you really want?
- What are you waiting for?
After you’ve reflected on the questions above, take a minute to answer the bonus million dollar question:
Based on your answers above, what are you willing to take ACTION on in the next week? Leave your answer in the comments below!